tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 24 13:49:13 2002

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: Imperial Klingon Vessel

Ubuvor asks:
>In the tlhIngan Hubbeq is there a separate branch for the navy and the 
>If so, what are they?

If the Klingons have a separate term for ground troops - not to mention one 
for marines (i.e. naval infantry), navy, air force, coast guard, border 
patrol, strategic rocket forces, etc. - we don't know it.  There could, 
however, be obsolete words for these branches, which may have been 
consolidated into the {tlhIngan Hubbeq} - if, indeed, they ever existed! - 
when the Klingons went out into space.

Here are a couple of passages from _Klingon for the Galactic Traveller_ 
which summarizes our linguistic knowledge of the Klingon military, 
exclusive of ranks:

   The entirety of a government's military apparatus is its {QI'}, usually
   translated simply as "military". The word is rather general in that it may
   apply to a nongovernmental military organization as well, such as that of
   a group of rebels. Though many Klingons themselves are apt to describe the
   Federation's Starfleet as a type of {QI'}, this is not really an appropriate
   use of the term, since {QI'} refers to the military only, while the 
   of Starfleet are scientific and diplomatic as well. This misapplication of
   the term may, in part, be responsible for the frequent misunderstandings
   between the Federation and the Empire. The official Klingon {QI'} is the
   Klingon Defense Force, or {tlhIngan Hubbeq}, which is run by the Klingon
   High Command, or {tlhIngan ra'ghomquv}. The Defense Force is subdivided into
   units known as {yo'} and {nawlogh}, traditionally translated as "fleet" and
   "squadron", respectively, but the relationship between the two is not
   straightforward in terms of chain of command." (KGT 51)

   A ship's full complement of personnel, crew plus officers, is called a 
   perhaps best translated as "company". The general word for officer (in
   addition to the specific term for various ranks) is {yaS}. An individual
   crew member is a {beq}. ({QaS} [troops] applies to nonofficers whether or
   not assigned to a ship.) (KGT 50)

   The word {mang} is used when the warrior under discussion is described in
   terms of his membership in a fighting unit (for example, as a crew member
   on an attack cruiser). Perhaps for this reason it is sometimes translated
   "soldier". The usual plural form of {mang} is a different word altogether:
   {negh} (warriors, soldiers). The word {mangpu'} is seldom used used, but it
   is not ungrammatical. It carries with it the notion that there are
   individuals (more than one {mang}) making up the group; {negh} focuses on
   the group as a unit. A similar word, {QaS}, normally translated "troops",
   is used in almost the same way as {negh}, but it excludes officers. All of
   the {negh} together make up something called a {mangghom}. Literally, this
   is "warrior group" or "soldier group," but it is usually translated as 
   (KGT 49-50)

That being said, Glen Proechel once came up with *{bIQbeq} for "marine", on 
the model of {Hubbeq} "Defense Force".  I can also think of *{yavbeq} 
"ground crew", *{yavmangghom} "ground army", *{yavmang} "ground soldier", 
etc., off the top of my head if you really, really want one.  Keep in mind, 
however, few will automatically translate these as "marine" unless you 
explain them.

>Then I can complete my tlhIngan pong.  So far it read as thus:
>        baraSugney bu' laqSmIy tugh jIH
>        tlhIngan wo' Duj Deb qulHom

I may have misled you a bit.  {jIH} is the pronoun "I" and can be used in 
equational sentences of the type "I am X": e.g. {tera'ngan jIH} "I'm a 
Terran", {voragh jIH} "I am Voragh", or {baraSugney bu' laqSmIy tugh jIH} 
"I am Sgt. baraSungney, of the House of laqSmIy".  But if you're filling 
out an application, you'd omit {jIH} since you're just listing your name, 
rank, House, and command.  If OTOH you do want to state all this as a 
sentence, you could say:

   baraSugney bu' laqSmIy tugh jIH 'ej tlhIngan wo' Duj <<Deb qulHom>>Daq 

   I'm Sergeant baraSungney, of the House of laqSmIy, and I serve on the 
   Klingon Vessel "Desert Flame".

>It should read:
>        baraSungey (marine) bu' laqSmIy tugh jIH
>        tlhIngan wo' Duj Deb qulHom
>        Arizona
>I guess I should also ask for the translation for Arizona, and also what is
>the closest the the Z sound (as in zantai-)

Never translate alien proper names, just transliterate them if you 
must.  For English z I would use /S/, though I have seen people use /tlh/ 
on occasion.  I've also seen the klingonaase title transliterated as 
*{Santay} or *{Santay'}.  Personally, I'd just leave it as *zantai* which 
warns the alert reader that this is a non-tlhIngan Hol word which should 
not be looked up in the dictionary.

We still need to ask Maltz about for more unclassified details of Klingon 
military organization.

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level