tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 19:35:49 2002

Re: the whys and whenfors of translation

ja' DloraH:
>But now I'm wondering, does chev mean "separate" as in transitive "divide"; or
>is it "separate" as in intransitive "unconnected, individual, independant"?

The phrase {chevwI' tlhoy'} for a wall or fence between two regions argues
for its being transitive.  The definition "separate" is pretty clearly
transitive anyway; if it were otherwise, it would likely read "be separate"
instead.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level