tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 25 16:50:47 2001

RE: KLBC: Alice in Wonderland

>Alice: nuvmey maw' vIthej vIneHbe'.
>(I don't want to go among mad people)

There are three plural suffixes.  -pu' is the plural suffix when refering to
beings capable of language.  -Du' is for body parts.  -mey is for everything
else.  Of course there are exceptions, but perhaps we should save those
exceptions til after KLBC.  So for multiple people you would want nuvpu'.
Don't forget the l in tlhej.

>Cat: DachoHlaHbe'. naDev maw' Hoch.
>(You can't help that. We're all mad here.)

You did good here.  I like that you used choH instead of simply pluging in
the word for "help".

>I'm also looking for a word meaning "image", "picture", or
>"photograph", but haven't been able to find anything close.  Is
>there one, or does one just have to work around it?

Many of us are looking, or rather waiting for that word.  Some ideas have
been -understandable- but only because of context.

KGT p80 "Carving or incising is also done on flat surfaces, usually a stone
panel or nagh beQ (literally, "flat rock"), a term that bas been extended to
mean the resulting artwork itself as well as similar pieces, including
paintings. [...]  What the Federation would classify as a painting - that
is, a nagh beQ featuring an image not carved into it but painted onto it -
is made by applying rItlh ..."

So it is in KGT, but I find it hard to call a photo that I carry in my
wallet a "flat rock".

New Beginners' Grammarian, DloraH

Back to archive top level