tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 19 15:47:22 2001

Re: I dropped the computer; therefore it broke [was RE: philosophy (was Re: Pronouns]

> > {De'wI' vIchagh; vaj ghor} "I dropped the computer; therefore it
> broke."
>
> ...could you also say "The Computer broke when I dropped it"
> De'wI' vI'chaghDI'  ghor

But why did it break.  It broke WHEN I dropped it, but was it because it hit
the floor or did someone swing a baseball bat at it?

A different example:
jIpawDI' jIghung - As soon as I arrived I was hungary.
The reason I am hungary is not because I arrived.  I would have been hungry if
I arrived or not.
vaj gives a result of an action; similer to -mo', but still different.

DloraH

Back to archive top level