tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 19 15:13:43 2001

RE: philosophy (was Re: Pronouns

>You're both right - technically, {vaj} ("thus, therefore") is an adverbial.
>It doesn't actually join sentences in the way that {'ej}, {qoj}, {pagh},
>and
>{'ach} do.

Technically, /vaj/ is a leftover, as are the sentence conjunctions.  They're
just used differently.

>If I want to say:
>"I dropped the computer, so it broke"
>this would technically be two sentences in Klingon, separated by a period,
>semicolon, etc., or a pause in speech if you're talking:

In English you usually pause.  We have a number of sentences in Klingon,
pronounced by Okrand, where sentences pushed together have no pause.  In
/bIDIlbe'chugh vaj bIHegh/, there is no pause before the /vaj/.  English
speech patterns need not be observed when speaking Klingon!

You can't go shoving together just any sentences in Klingon, though.  You
have to go along with what evidence we already have to judge that.

>I'm not sure what others think, but I can accept {vaj bIHegh bIDIlbe'chugh}
>as a valid sentence. "Therefore you will die, if you do not pay."

I think it's a valid sentence, but it doesn't follow the traditional
formula, and so shouldn't be used in such a circumstance.

SuStel
Stardate 1718.9