tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 12 22:23:44 2001

RE: Enterprise

Ann Krispin didn't write Klingon phrases. She mostly used nouns.

> A long time back (early TNG), I had an idea for a story (and of course I
> never got around to writing or submitting it)...  Please pardon any
> amateurish drivel below...
>
> I called the story "Juggernaut", and it involved a gang of terrorists that
> stole a prototype Klingon dreadnaught.  There was a bit of dialogue that
> would have gone something like this:
>
> -----------------
> Admiral (over comm): "The Enterprise is the only ship near enough to keep
> an eye on it, but keep your distance.  Help is on the way."
>
> Picard: "I understand.  We will observe but will not engage."
>
> Admiral (signing off): "Very well then; we wish you success tracking
> the [mevbe'wI' jIH]."
>
> Picard (to Worf): "[mevbe'wI' jiH]?"

Ouch. That's really bad.

You might look closer to the translation of "Kahless, the Unforgetable" and
come closer to something like:

Actually, I'm not happy with anything I can come up with here. It's really
just a bad approach. Klingon ship names tend to be relatively simple, like
{pagh} or {targh}. "One who cannot be stopped" is just not something that
would roll off a Klingon tongue. There's a difference between one that
doesn't stop and one that cannot be stopped and you aren't close to the
latter.

> Worf: "Juggernaut, sir.  'The unstoppable'."
>
> Picard: "Ah, yes; I'm afraid my Klingon is a little rusty.  But if
> memory serves, [jIH] is the equivalent to 'I', is it not?"
>
> Worf: "It is, sir.  The name could be translated as '*I* am unstoppable'.
> Klingons sometimes name a ship as though it were a person, hoping it will
> gain a warrior pride of its own."
>
> Dunno if Okrand had anything of the sort in mind though...

Likely not.

> --
> ||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
> ||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||

charghwI'

Back to archive top level