tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 10 21:48:18 2001

Re: Enterprise

>In Ann Crispin's book "Sarek", she states that Klingon ships are referred to as "he":
>
>Jim Kirk: "What'll we name her?"
>Peter Kirk: "Actually, it's a he. And he already has a name."
>
>... or something similar.
>
>I'm not sure what bearing this has on ships as possessors, but it would seem - assuming that *all* Ann's information came from Dr Okrand (her Klingon language phrases, at least, are in <<ta' Hol>>, direct from MO) - that Klingons anthropomorphise (??) their ships as well.

A long time back (early TNG), I had an idea for a story (and of course I
never got around to writing or submitting it)...  Please pardon any
amateurish drivel below...

I called the story "Juggernaut", and it involved a gang of terrorists that
stole a prototype Klingon dreadnaught.  There was a bit of dialogue that
would have gone something like this:

-----------------
Admiral (over comm): "The Enterprise is the only ship near enough to keep
an eye on it, but keep your distance.  Help is on the way."

Picard: "I understand.  We will observe but will not engage."

Admiral (signing off): "Very well then; we wish you success tracking
the [mevbe'wI' jIH]."

Picard (to Worf): "[mevbe'wI' jiH]?"

Worf: "Juggernaut, sir.  'The unstoppable'."

Picard: "Ah, yes; I'm afraid my Klingon is a little rusty.  But if
memory serves, [jIH] is the equivalent to 'I', is it not?"

Worf: "It is, sir.  The name could be translated as '*I* am unstoppable'.
Klingons sometimes name a ship as though it were a person, hoping it will
gain a warrior pride of its own."

Dunno if Okrand had anything of the sort in mind though...
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||