tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 10 12:46:57 2001

Re: Enterprise

Ten minutes ago I wrote:

: While checking my notes I noticed that Okrand only uses {ghaj} "have,
: possess" with subjects referring to a person or groups of persons
: (e.g. {qorDu'} in Skybox S8), but never an inanimate object.

HIvqa' veqlargh!

Oops, let me re-phrase that.  Due to a strange lapse in my notes, I missed the
well-known proverb:

  Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj
  A day without secrets is like a night without stars. PK

Days and nights are obviously not people, but neither are they inanimate
objects.  They are periods of time and, as such, may fall between the cracks -
particularly in poetic or proverbial usage like the above.

For those interested, here are the remaining attestations of {ghaj} I'm aware
of, all of which have people as the subject:

  nIn 'ar wIghaj
  How much fuel do we have (left)? TKD

  pIch vIghajbe'
  It's not my fault. TKD

  De' pegh vIghaj
  I have secret information. PK

  butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
  Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

  cha'maH cha' joQDu' ghaj qama'
  The prisoner has twenty-two ribs. KGT

  qaStaHvIS wa'maH puq poHmey, wo'rIv betleH ghaj qorDu'Daj
  Worf's bat'telh has been in his family for ten generations. S8

: Perhaps Klingons don't anthropomorphize (klingonomorphize?) their
: ships as humans do; thus, a

Another point: Ships are never referred to by the pronoun {ghaH} "he/she",
always {'oH} "it".

: ship may not be able to "possess" anything in Klingon - unless it's alive
: (biotreknology!?).  You may not even be able to say {X ghaj tera'} "[planet]
: Earth has X" but only {X lughaj tera'nganpu'} "Terrans have X" or {X ghaj
: 'ejyo'} "Starfleet has X", since Starfleet is an organization consisting of
: people like {qorDu'}.

Though I'd like to see more examples of {ghaj} in context, I think I'm still on
the right track here.

The {ghaH}/{'oH} distinction - animate/nonanimate, or more precisely:
sentient/nonsentient (i.e. Okrand's famous phrase "capable of using language")
since plants and animals take {'oH} - seems to lie at the heart of much Klingon
grammar and usage.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons