tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 10 11:49:14 2001

Re: Enterprise

SuSvaj:
: "Enterprise" lut vIyajchugh, wa' pIvghor ghajbogh Duj neH
: ghaj tera'. 'entapray' 'oH Dujvam'e'. yo' 'oHbe'bej wa' Duj'e'.

Instead of using {ghaj} twice in one sentence, {jom} "install (a device)" is
perfect here:

  wa' tera'(ngan) DujDaq neH pIvghor jomlu'.
  Only one Terran ship is equipped with a warp drive.

Examples of {jom} from canon:

  Hoch tlhIngan DujDaq So'wI' jomlu'.
  All Klingon vessels are equipped with a cloaking device ... S33

  ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
  [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was
  installed in one experimental ship.] S33 (untranslated on card)

  nISwI' talmey: cha' (telDaq lujomlu')
  Disruptor Cannon - 2 (Wing Mounted). KBoP

A possible usage note:  While checking my notes I noticed that Okrand only uses
{ghaj} "have, possess" with subjects referring to a person or groups of persons
(e.g. {qorDu'} in Skybox S8), but never an inanimate object.  Perhaps Klingons
don't anthropomorphize (klingonomorphize?) their ships as humans do; thus, a
ship may not be able to "possess" anything in Klingon - unless it's alive
(biotreknology!?).  You may not even be able to say {X ghaj tera'} "[planet]
Earth has X" but only {X lughaj tera'nganpu'} "Terrans have X" or {X ghaj
'ejyo'} "Starfleet has X", since Starfleet is an organization consisting of
people like {qorDu'}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons