tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 14 23:25:21 2001

RE: tu'lu'pu'be'bogh Hatlh

> > chay' "The Undiscovered Country" jIjatlhlaH?
> wo' tu'lu'pu'be'bogh.
> ...{Hatlh}
> is a valid choice. I chose {wo'}. There is no exact translation for
> "country" and it just depends on whether you wish to take the meaning of
> "country" to refer to the land or to the place defined by
> culture/government, etc.

Hatlh is "country, countryside (n)".  Many people don't see that second
word.  Hatlh is the country, in the sense of: away from the city, the trees
and the fields, a small road with not much traffic, where the deer and the
antelope play.

wo' certainly works.

Also, KGT p16 <<A specific area whose borders are definable ... is normally
called a Sep, commonly translated as "region", though, since the regions
were politically distinct in the past, "country" might have at one time been
just as appropriate a translation.>>

But even tho Sep is country, in the political sense, would it fit the poetic
meaning of "undiscovered country"?  I'm not that much into Shakespear.

DloraH

Back to archive top level