tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 14 22:38:46 2001

RE: tu'lu'pu'be'bogh Hatlh

tlha'Ha'chuq mu'mey.

> chay' "The Undiscovered Country" jIjatlhlaH?

wo' tu'lu'pu'be'bogh.

> loS Hu', tlhIngan Hol jatlhpu' vIQoy'.

jatlhwI'pu' DaQoy 'e' vIpIH. wa' mu' *syllable* Dachagh 'ej latlhvaD <<'>>
poQbe'lu'bogh Dachel.

> vIyajchu'be', 'ach mu'mey puS
> vIQoy'bej. "The Undiscovered Country" *script* tlhIngan Hol ghaj'a' vay'?

vIHutlh.

> How can I say "The Undiscovered Country"? Is the way I chose in
> the subject
> line OK, or a bit complex?

It's not overly complex. The problem is that it is a relative clause and as
such, you reversed the words. {Hatlh} is the direct object of
{tu'lu'pu'be'bogh}. There can be no subject because you used {-lu'}. {Hatlh}
is a valid choice. I chose {wo'}. There is no exact translation for
"country" and it just depends on whether you wish to take the meaning of
"country" to refer to the land or to the place defined by
culture/government, etc.

> Four days ago, I had opportunity to hear my first spoken Klingon,
> when "Star
> Trek: The Undiscovered Country" was broadcast on television here in
> Australia. I understood some of it - in particular, numerous
> occurrences of
> <<-taHvIS>>, <<nuq 'oH Dujvetlh'e'>> and General Chang's very emphatic
> <<-'a'>> suffixes at the end of some questions - but a lot I am
> still trying
> to decipher. Does anyone have the Klingon script from "The Undiscovered
> Country"? (Including the phonetic variations of the Morskan
> dialect spoken to Uhura, if possible.)

chaq DuQaHlaH latlh. muchvam vImughpu' 'ach "official" 'oHbe'.

One word of caution: There is a scene where one of the generals spreads out
a map and basically says, "wa wa wa wawawa". Others claim to be able to
understand him actually saying something that makes sense as the translation
of the subtitle, but I never could. At that last qep'a', I mentioned this to
Okrand during perhaps the only moment of the envent that I got to talk to
him. He rolled his eyes and agreed that the actor basically gave up on
trying to pronounce what he was coached to say and just said a lot of "wa
wa"s. His facial expression is priceless. But don't get too wrapped up
trying to figure out what he said. He didn't say anything intelligible. At
least, Okrand didn't think so. Most of the rest of it is pretty good.

KGT gives the best summary of Morscan, but you probably already know that.

> Qapla' 'ej Satlho'
>
> ro'Han

charghwI'

Back to archive top level