tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 10 13:42:18 2001

Re: Broken Bow?

jIqon:
> >CHANCELLOR
> >(to Archer)
> >chupDaH Hegh volchaHvay
> >    [ "I recommend distance or whatever you are will die."
> >     (I.E. Get lost or I'll kill ya!)]

SuSvaj bItlhob:
> Is that the meaning that the script gives?
> I can't make anything of this except
> "The shoulder's someone dies the recomend now."

There was no English translation for this given. I think they were
trying to say literally "Now I recommend that you distance (your)
shoulder (from) Death." I thought it was some kind of obscure
metaphor.

I don't have Voragh's resources, so I wasn't sure if it was lifted
from text somewhere else, or transposed words from a similar phrase.

If it wasn't translated in the Script, they must have wanted us to
try & figure it out. The first word was problematic, because the
script had a typo where the character p (or q, or g as Qov has
observed) were mangled in my copy. Quite a bit of the 'Klingon' has
typos in it. Most of it one can make guesses, or bridge the gap by
listening to the episode.

My translation is reaching, but I am quite sure of the word
{volchaHvay} because the entire phrase is repeated at least twice
during the episode.

Was he calling Archer "Shoulders." I don't know....LOL

If you taped it, the sound is actually clearer in the earlier scene
when Hoshi & Archer are in Brazil, and he plays the 'Vulcan database'
material to her. All of the sounds in that scene can also be heard in
the Klingon Council Chambers later.

I made an audio tape of that part, and played it against the video of
the earlier scene. Out of sequence, some of the phrases are the same.

         Qapla' batlh je!

Qor'etlh valwI'na', buraD tuq, Duy'a' tlhIngan wo'
http://homeworld.klingonempire.net
[email protected]
chaq jIlughbe', 'ach reH Qor'etlh jIH!
}};-]