tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 09 18:59:57 2001

Re: Help for someone new!

From: "Rohan Fenwick" <[email protected]>
> HISlaH. You are correct - my second attempt is
>
> nIb <<wen>> "months ago" je.

DaH jIyaj.

> >I'm not sure of your ultimate meaning here.  Perhaps you should try
again.

> What I mean is "The word <<wen>> means "months ago"". I couldn't find a
verb
> which signifies the "to mean" meaning well enough - there's one which is
> mean to" but I didn't think that was correct (nor did I think this verb
was
> suitable).

/'oS/ is often used for this sort of thing:

*months ago* 'oS <wen>.

> I didn't really mean to give <<nIb>> an object, honest! :) I obviously
have
> much more work to do before I reach a decent conversational standard...

Doj laHlIj.  jatlhtaHghach ngeD law' qontaHghach ngeD puS.

> Further to the pronoun-as-verb construction: Is there an equivalent
> comparative structure to "I am more of a man than you are", or is this
> circumlocution material?

There is no verb "be a man" in Klingon so there is no direct translation.
I'd probably go with something like

loD'e' jIH Dun law' SoH Dun puS.

This is akin to Vixis' line in Star Trek V:

qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.

SuStel
Stardate 1774.1

Back to archive top level