tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 09 08:40:26 2001

Re: Help for someone new!

From: "Rohan Fenwick" <[email protected]>
> <<wen>> nIbbogh mu' 'oH "months ago"'e'.
> However, I could be wrong again... :)

/nIb/ means "be identical."  Do you really think that can take an object?
That'd be like saying */Duj vIQuch/ "I am happy the ship."

I suppose you mean to say "identical to."  In Klingon, you'd have to use a
plural subject, consisting of the things that are identical.  For example,
/nIb beHwIj beHlIj je/ "My rifle is identical to yours."

I'm not sure of your ultimate meaning here.  Perhaps you should try again.

> BTW, has anyone thought of the possibility that the suffix <<-'e'>> may be
> the modern last vestige of a nominative case in ancient Klingon? We know
> that it marks the subject in quasi-copular sentences; might this usage
have
> extended to all sentences? Or am I just trying too hard to expand the
> language in a dimension it's not intended to go?

I've always considered the "to be" formation to be an ad hoc one.  The way I
imagine it, Klingon always had the "Me Tarzan" kind of sentence, but then
when Klingons wanted to identify one noun with another, they added a topic
to it.

nov ghaH.
He is an alien.

nov ghaH Human'e'.
He is an alien.  The human!  I'm talking about the human.  He's an alien.

SuStel
Stardate 1772.9

Back to archive top level