tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 08 16:55:32 2001

Re: Strange Coincidence

batlh ghItlhta' Qor'etlh valwI'na' quv:
[...]

What *are* you trying to say? I have reread your posts, per your suggestion.
Even after I filter out the insult and banter, I don't see the points you
insist you're making, tho I am interested, and unlikely to squelch anyone
merely for topical purity. chutvaD machenbe' maH, 'a maHvaD chen chut.

This list has a long history, and unfortunately it has included a lot of
tunnel vision. The reason for this, I think, is because of the strange and
unique mix of interests here. Many of us here are more interested in
language than in Trekdom. ngoDHeyvammo' geek maHchugh, vaj geek Dotlhqoqmo'
mayon.

The knee-jerk reaction against topical tangents is stifling, I agree. What
we need is more imagination, both linguistically and culturally. Whatever
comments on Trek chronology and Klingon history you were about to make,
especially as regards the Klingon language (duh!), I would sincerely welcome
here. After all, the whole no' Holqoq discussion was technically off-topic,
but no one raised too much of a stink.

Dajatlh,
>I did not include mu'mey tlhIngan Hol in the original posting,
because it was also copied to Berman, Braga and significant parties
at Decipher (new owners of the Official Star Trek Fan Club, and ST:
Communicator). Their 'geek alert' would have been set off, the eyes
would glaze over and the message would have been lost entirely. Since
I'm involved in a project at Decipher (from which some of the
Timeline was quoted) I'd hoped that it would have some influence
there, and by association at Paramount. They hold the reigns at P/V.

*Who* sits in the ivory tower?

Just remember, "we" are no more responsible for the separatism than "you".
But this is a very serious issue. The average Hol-enthusiast and the average
Klindom-enthusiast are probably doomed to remain oblivious to one another,
but for the few that live in both countries, at least be consciencious
enough to bridge the gap instead of widening it, for god's sake.

Maybe this would be a good time for some to read or reread the KLI's mission
statement -- /kli/