tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 03 09:58:08 2001

Re: quraq's proverb--KLBC

> neH jagh maj jagh Hegh
> The only good enemy is a dead enemy

maj is the exclamation "Good!"
The verb "good, be good" is QaQ.

When neH (only) modifies a noun, it goes after the noun.
When neH (only) modifies a verb, it qoes after the verb.

The sentence doesn't have anything acting as a verb.

Hegh is defined as "die (v), death (n)".
It's not used for "dead" (as far as we know).  And we can't put -ta' or -pu' on
an adjective; besides, Hegh can't be used as an adjective.  We can use -ta' or -
pu' if we recast this to a -bogh phrase.

jagh QaQ  ghaH  Heghta'bogh jagh'e' neH
But if you put it this way, you don't have to say "dead", he's just as good if
he is still merely in the process of dieing,
jagh QaQ  ghaH  Heghbogh jagh'e' neH

or:  Heghchugh neH jagh, QaQ jagh

DloraH

Back to archive top level