tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 29 21:53:52 2001

RE: KLBC: jIH

I talked with Okrand about {lI'} vs. {lab} the one time I had an extended
opportunity to talk with him, when I interviewed him for HolQeD a couple
years back. He noted that he wasn't particularly into computer jargon at the
time and was even less so when he made these entries in TKD.

To understand these definitions, consider that the place referred to in the
gloss definition is always the place where the speaker is. Given that, {lI'}
"transmit data (to a place)" then means transmitting data to the place where
the speaker is. That means receiving the transmission or downloading.
Contrarily, {lab} means to transmit data (from a place). Since the place is
the place where the speaker is, that means to send or upload data.

Basically, these words involve deixis, like {Hop} and {Sum}. If you don't
create a specific locative reference to anchor it somewhere other than the
speaker, the direction of the transmission is always specified relative to
the speaker.

I hope this clears this up a bit.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level