tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 29 19:09:54 2001

RE: KLBC: jIH

> I want to introduce myself correctly.
> lugh 'oH vIlIHegh 'e' vIneH.
> Not sure about the first sentence, but it was the best way I could think
> of this late to create an adverb.

There's a few ways we can do this one.
First, by "correctly" do you mean without errors or do you mean politely, to
give more information because last time you only gave a name?
The suffix -'egh (with a ' on there) means that the prefix can not specify
an object because really the subject is also the object.  You need jI-
instead of vI-.
The pronoun 'e' isn't used when the second verb is neH.  neH is an exception
to the rule.
To handle "correctly" in the sense of being thorough, you could use the
suffix -chu'.
jIlIH'eghchu' vIneH.
Now, it is possible that you are being forced to do this, but most likely
you are doing it under your own will; you don't have to have vIneH on there,
but it doesn't hurt anything if it is on there.

Some people might say that you don't even need this first sentence and that
you would just start with what you have below.  But I think it should be
left on; otherwise, as you're saying the lines below, a klingon might think
"Why are you telling me this?  Why do I need to know where you live?"  By
putting jIlIH'egh in there, it explains the purpose of this conversation.

> I am Datlh, as I have said before. I live in Los Angeles.
> Datlh jIH 'e' vIja'pu'. "Los Angeles" vIDab.

> During the school year I spend my time on computer programming.
> DuvtaHchugh DuSaQ De'wI'wIj vIghun.

I don't know if we have canon use of Duv, so I don't know if it can be used
in this non-motion sense.

> On my vacations I cook. I have cooked a lot.
> jIghIQtaHchugh jIvut. Dochmey jIvutpu',

> I think I will become a computer programmer who cooks a lot,
> or maybe a chef that programs as a side-business.
> vut ghunwI''e' jIHtchoH pagh ghun vutwI''e' jIHchoH.

jIHchoH, hmm, this could be an interesting topic for theologians.
For us we have moj.

Because you put a verb suffix on jIH, that would suggest that you were
intending the pronoun to act as the verb.  If jIH is the verb, that leaves
vut and ghun hanging.  We need a way to attach them to the sentence.  The
suffix -bogh.
vutbogh ghunwI' vImoj - I will become a programmer which cooks.
ghunbogh vutwI' vImoj - I will become a cook which programs.
And of course you can tie these together with pagh as you intended.

> I want to learn to speak Klingon because it is intriguing.
> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vIghoj 'e' vIneH Dajmo' 'oH.

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vIghoj - I learned that I speak klingon; I didn't
know that I was capable.  When did I learn the words?  I don't know, but I
just found out that I speak klingon.  Wow.

tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vIneH - I want to learn klingon

To match the english you could include vIjatlhmeH "for the purpose of
speaking it", but why limit yourself to just speaking it.  Leaving that off
allows you to include writing, reading, and hearing.

Again, no 'e' with neH.

> It is getting late, so I must send this.
> paSchoHtaHmo' poH QInvam vIlI'nIS.

lab is send.
If I recall correctly, lI' was used in ST3 for receive.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level