tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 22 17:06:12 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhIngan yejquv (n)

> >Voragh:
> >>What the difference is in Klingon terms between a {yejquv} "High
> >>Council" and a {quprIp} "Council of Elders" is not clear.

Jiri:
> >When speaking of affairs of an Earth country with a bicameral system,
> >would it make sense to use these words for the Lower and Upper houses?
> >Which one would be which?

> >Or would it be better to use different words altogether?

SuStel:
> It might make sense if you stated up front in the beginning of your
> speech/document/whatever how you were using these words, and realized
> that they wouldn't mean that permanently.  /yejquv/ and /quprIp/ means
> "High Council" and "Council of Elders," respectively, not "Lower House"
> and "Upper House."

Then again, the names aren't universal, either. If it can vary between
"Commons"/"Lords", "House of Representatives"/"Senate", "Legislative
Assembly"/"Legislative Council" etc, then I think one can stretch it to
"High Council" and "Council of Elders".

The government of Kronos that we know seems to be the High Council, and we
don't know what the Council of Elders is. I guess it probably isn't a
bicameral-style Senate, though, because then they wouldn't've got Picard
(of all people) to mediate - the CoE would've done it - or they would've
mentioned why the CoE can't.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib