tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 22 20:18:39 2001

Mnemonics

mu'tay' chu' vIqaw 'e' vI'olmeH jIqIm.  chu'chu'be' HochHom 'ach
yIHaghQo'.   tlhIngan mu'ghom wa'DIchDaq tu'lu'be'chugh, jIHvaD chu'.

These are not all mine, and not the first time they've been posted, but
like the word of the day a review can't hurt.

word		mnemonic
chan 		China - in the east
tIng 		ArgenTINa - except for Chile, as far southwest as you can get
'ev 		Everett, a city in Washington State, the American "Northwest"
mar		this little piggy went to MARket
Hom		"                     stayed HOMe
roS		"                     had ROSt beef
nan		"                     had NANe
Qay'		"	          Qay'ed wee wee wee all the way home.
Sen		Sensible grown up person's thumb
rIl		rIlly small person's thumb, military dRILl involving bugle
SIq		sic 'em!  (point at the victim)
qay		work the k (kay) key on a keyboard
qew 		work the w key
qan		I remember the gesture of pointing it at old people
gheb		BuGHlE
vaD		-vaD flexibly twists the a sentence back at the noun.
tangqa'          	tank-Qa'  big animal
tlhoy'		could be a ploy - false - non-structural wall
reD		despite modern fashion, the reD is more likely red than the tlhoy'
yergho	the walls of Jericho fell down - very funny, Marc
beb		BEB is the trade name of a sort of roof vent
rutlh  		It's a RUdimentary TooL, that I've been begging for, ages.
me'		me - I'm female, female parent's sister
'e'mam	the other side
'IrneH		mom wears earrings
tennuS	dad played tennis
tey'		confide in same sex friends - sibling same sex as parent
lor		male android - opposite sex as me
yur		YoU'Re related, but I can't work out how :)
'e'nal		in-law
yor		on top of the world, surveying YOuR domain
yuvtlhe'	the instructions on a medicine bottle
'aqroS		like the beams *across* the top of a room
pIrmuS	Bottom played Pyramus in the play within a play in Midsummer Night's
dream, which they rehearsed OUTSIDE.
bIS'ub		sub-basement, which is obviously inside.
tlhoy		if something is too sweet, it is cloying
'Iq		too much of most things can be icky
wen		when did it happen?  whence is an old word
waQ		wacky is a new word
ret		a long time AGO ret meant to soak flax
pIq		upcoming events pique ones interest
ghal		I can't forget this one because I remember a time I needed it, and a
person who assured me I didn't, but got it for me anyway.  Thank you.

Grr, and I just saw a mistake in a published column.  lughItlhnISlu'.

Back to archive top level