tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 09:38:03 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhIngan yejquv (n)

: Klingon word:   tlhIngan yejquv
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     Klingon High Council
:
: Additional Notes:
: KGT p. 36. The Klingon High Council, the body that rules the Empire.

As used in canon:

  yejquv vaS'a' vISuch vIneH.
  I want to visit the Great Hall of the High Council. CK

  juHqo'Daq vaS'a' tu'lu'. ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH
    pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'.
  On the Homeworld, there is a great hall where the leaders of the
    Klingon High Council meet to determine policy and decide upon
    the fate of the Empire. S25

  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
    be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
  The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
    seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the
    Klingon High Council. S26

What the difference is in Klingon terms between a {yejquv} "High Council" and a
{quprIp} "Council of Elders" is not clear.

Is the {yejquv} a national, planetary, or imperial body vs. a local or regional
{quprIp}?  Is there only one ruling {yejquv} but many {quprIpmey} - i.e. does
every local ruler, warlord, governor have an advisory {quprIp}?  Is {quprIp}
older, referring to a previous, simpler body?  Did the {yejquv} replace the
emperor's {quprIp}?  (We know there hasn't been a Klingon emperor for some 300
years before TNG "Rightful Heir".)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons