tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 16:13:19 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

Groan alert!

I love this movie. So, of course, I feel compelled to come up with another way
to say the line:

chunchu'; puq rur. ghaHvaD yIQIj.

And other favorites:

Qo'! yIloS! chaq ... [No, I can't do it. How would I translate "plucky comic
relief"?] qech'a' vIqelchoH.

another:

Qu'vatlh! lughbe'chu' ghu'vam!

or:

ghaytan Ho'Du' jej pachDu' jej je ghaj puqpu'Heyvam. not much bobejpu''a'?

or:

bortaSlIj vISuq *ghaptlhar* mupwI'vaD 'e' vI'Ip

or:

DujvamDaq wa' Qu' neH vIghaj! QIp Qu'vam 'ach vItoy'bej. SoHvaD qay''a' Qu'wIj?

or:

.. We need to ask Marc for "rudimentary lathe".

nagh 'oH! DaqDu' puj Hutlh! DaH mI'Du' HImojmoH!

charghwI'

> From: "Jiri Baum" <[email protected]>
>
> > > You could probably get away with something even shorter, just:
> >
> > > puqvaD yIQIj.
> > > Explain for a child.
> >
> > Which gets us almost back to my original...
> >
> > puqHeyvaD yIQIj.
> > Explain for the apparent child.
>
> Okay, but drop the /-Hey/.  Mathezar is not apparently a child.  /-Hey/ is
> for saying you're pretty sure, but can't verify, that the thing you're
> talking about is accurately described by the noun you chose, not for
> resemblance.  His understanding of performance is like a child's.  There are
> no apparent children anywhere.  This is why I liked the /rur/ solution:
> "He's like a child; explain it to him now that you know that."
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 1890.7

Back to archive top level