tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 19 19:25:44 2001

RE: *Halloween* rurbogh QI'lop'e'

> : tlhInganpu' jech'eghmoHbogh QI'lop'e' vIHech.
> "I mean a {QI'lop} which causes Klingons to disguise themselves."

-'egh means the subject does the action to themself.
-moH means the subject causes the object to do the action.
Then we put them together...
Does the -'egh stay with the subject or does the -moH move it to the object.

In KGT p117 "Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for
example, tuj ["be hot"]) is used in the imperative form, the suffixes -'egh
(reflexive suffix) and -moH ("cause") are used as well:  yItuj'eghmoH ("Heat
yourself!" - that is, "Cause yourself to be hot!"), yItaD'eghmoH! ("Freeze
yourself!" - that is, "Cause yourself to be frozen!").  When taD is used in
the idiomatic sense of "not move," however, it is treated as if a verb
describing an activity, such as yIt ("walk"):  yIyIt! ("Walk!")."

But we see that KGT specifies verbs of state-of-being and verbs of activity.
But what if we use -'eghmoH on a verb of activity?
Does the prefix determine what happens?
jIHoH'egh - I kill myself
jIHoH'eghmoH - I cause myself to kill (something else)
vIHoH'eghmoH - I cause him to kill himself
vIHoH'eghmoH - I cause myself to kill him

-'egh on a verb by itself doesn't take an object; the action goes back to
the subject.  What happens when -moH is added.

So we recast the whole thing using multiple sentences.

>   qaStaHvIS yupma'vam jech'egh tlhInganpu' 'e' vIHech.
>   I mean that Klingons disguise themselves during this festival.
>
>   yupma'vam loptaHvIS jech'egh tlhInganpu' 'e' vIHech.
>   I mean: Klingons disguise themselves when celebrating this festival.

These are good.  We can also use:
yupma'mo' jech'egh tlhInganpu' ...
Klingons disguise themselves because of the festival.

> Finally to answer you question:  I don't know.  Although we've seen Worf
wear
> costumes on the holodeck occasionally (cowboys from the Ancient West, an
18th
> century British officer, etc.), I don't think we've ever seen him wear a
mask.
> I would actually be surprised if he did, considering that "showing one's
face"
> {qab 'ang} is closely tied to Klingon ideas of honor:

We also see him and Dax dress-up as Kahless and Lukara, but again, no masks.
But, in the episode "First Born" when Worf and Alexander go to a festival,
the man playing the role of Kahless in a reenactment is wearing something on
his head.  It doesn't cover his face but it does cover part of his ridges.
The image isn't clear enough to see if it is fake ridges or just
ornamentation.  (DVD anyone?)

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level