tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 19 15:55:06 2001

RE: KLBC - jabbI'IDwIj cha'DIch

> nav'a'qu' vIchenmoHmeH navmey vIghommoH vIrInpu'. tlhIngan Hol mu'mey
> ghaj nav'a'. mu'tay' je pab vIghojlaH. *[email protected]*vad ghojghach
> wa'DIch je cha'DIch je wejDIch vIlI'pu'. nom jangmeywIj jIHev vItul.
>
> I have tried to describe my attempt at putting together a poster full of
> mu'tay' and affixes. I couldn't find a word for poster, so I described
> it the best way I could: nav'a'qu'.

nav is a noun but -qu' is a verb suffix.  The -'a' is fine.

[tlhIngan Hol mu'mey ghaj nav'a'] does work; we also have words like cha' -
display, show (v).

When connecting nouns with je, je goes at the end of the list.
[mu'tay' pab je vIghojlaH]

ghojghach is understandable but using -ghach without another suffix is very
unusual and marked.  Some other words you could try:  ghItlh - manuscript;
paQDI'norgh - teachings; and KGT lists qaD as a noun - test of one's
abilities.

>nom jangmeywIj jIHev vItul.

jang is a verb.
When you do replace it with a noun, Hev would have an object, so you would
need vI- instead of jI-.

[...vIHev vItul.] There are two verbs here.  A sentence can have only one
main verb.  The whole sentence [...vIHev] is the object of vItul.  This is
what is called Sentence-As-Object, TKD p65.  You use the pronoun 'e' to
represent the first sentence.
nom jang ghojmoHwI'  'e' vItul
"I hope that the teacher replies quickly."

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level