tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 22 00:21:58 2001

Puns - qID mu'mey

I'm rather curious about the puns that Okrand slipped into the language.
I've written a list of puns that either I've found, or I remember someone
here talking about. I've only found about 85, though; I remember Will Martin
(I think it was him, at least) saying he had 192 in that discussion with
Let's-make-up-our-own-words chris. And I think some of the ones I have might
not qualify as puns.

Here's the ones I've found, although I won't mention the explanations
here...it'd be too long.

baghneQ, beb, ben, bey, bID, bIghHa', chan, chang'eng, che'ron, chuH
chuS'ugh, DaS, DIb, DIron, Doghjey, ghal, ghem, ghevI', ghoS, ghup
Haq, Hat (both meanings), HaSta, Ha'DIbaH, Hew, HIq, jey'naS, jIl, joy'
lang, lev, lIw, maHpIn, may'ron, megh, meSchuS, me', mIy, mol
muD, mul, nay, nop, nughI'*, pang, paS, paw', peng*, pIl
pIn, pIw, qegh, qettlhup, qID, qIl, qompogh, qop, rach, rachwI'
run, runpI', Segh, Separ, SoSbor, Sut, tetlh, tIq, tlhaq, vIghro'
vIn, vIychorgh, wup, yay, yergho, yIH, yuvtlhe', 'ampaS, 'aqroS, 'argh
'atlhqam, 'awje', 'aw', 'IrneH, 'Iw

*pojwI' lists peng (torpedo) as a pun, but I'm not quite sure where it comes
from...does it have something to do with sonar pings and submarines and
such? Also, is nughI' considered a pun, or just a borrowing from English
like qa'vIn?

I remember someone mentioning a pun based on a character from "A Midsummer
Night's Dream;" Puck, I think. And one based on the name of the band Depeche
Mode.