tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 22 08:20:29 2001

Re: Puns - qID mu'mey

"Patrick Masterson" wrote:
: I'm rather curious about the puns that Okrand slipped into the language.
: I've written a list of puns that either I've found, or I remember someone
: here talking about. I've only found about 85, though; I remember Will Martin
: (I think it was him, at least) saying he had 192 in that discussion with
: Let's-make-up-our-own-words chris. And I think some of the ones I have might
: not qualify as puns.

Speaking of which, I just noticed an "old" one yesterday:  {tIQ} "be ancient"
which is no doubt a play on "anTIQue", "anTIQuity", etc.

: *pojwI' lists peng (torpedo) as a pun, but I'm not quite sure where it comes
: from...does it have something to do with sonar pings and submarines and such?

That's the theory.

: I remember someone mentioning a pun based on a character from "A Midsummer
: Night's Dream;" Puck, I think.

That's right; {puq} "child" may come from Puck (the mischievous child spirit).
Some, however, think {puq} derives from "puke" (infants and small children
often spit up on their elders) while others see it as {qup} "elder" backwards
(or is it the other way around?).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons