tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 21 09:22:05 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: qay'be' (excl)

>Klingon word:   qay'be'
>Part of Speech: exclamation
>Definition:     No problem!

I don't have TKD with me.  Is it in the appended List of Useful Expressions?

ghunchu'wI':
: {qay'be'} is an exclamation?  Says who?  It looks like a run-of-the-mill
: verb to me.  "It is not a problem."

It showed up in ST6:

  qay'be'. Daq Sovbejbe'taH qIrq.
  [It does not matter.] Kirk cannot know the location...

Qov once reported to the List:

  "I remember hearing, I *think* from Marc Okrand himself, that {qay'be'}
   was created in honour of a member of the tech crew on one of the movie
   sets who said "no problem" in response to all requests."

I have it glossed as "It's not a problem" as well as "No problem!" in my
notes.

In his discussion of the slang verb {qu'} "be great, be wonderful, be
excellent, be superlative, be splendid" in KGT (p.159), Okrand says that it is
also used as an exclamation by itself.  In this case {qu'!} could also be
legitimately translated as a complete sentence with an indefinite subject "It's
great!  That's splendid!" etc., as well as the abbreviated "Great! Splendid" --
like {Do'Ha'} which Okrand has translated both as "it is unfortunate, that is
unfortunate" as well as just "Unfortunate".

Why can't a complete, grammatical thought (i.e. verb plus prefix) be an
exclamation -- particularly if it is frequently by itself, like {Do'Ha'} or
{buy' ngop!}?  Where does Okrand say that *only* nouns, expletives and
adverbials can be used as exclamations in Klingon?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level