tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 21 03:22:43 2001

Re: marshmallows

At 16:09 20.05.01 -0500, you wrote:
>Is "sweet white spheres" enough in English?  I don't think so.  The name
>"marshmallow" has a specific enough meaning, both literally and culturally,
>that I think the name itself is important.  Consider the "unwieldy"
>explanation you must give in English to someone who doesn't know what a
>marshmallow is, and stop complaining that it's no easier in Klingon. :)
>
>Coming up with a way to say it in a "Klingon accent" is a tricky enough
>proposition that I'm not even going to try.  When I talk about burritos in
>English, I use the Spanish word "burrito".  When I talk about marshmallows
>in Klingon, I'll be using the English word "marshmallow".

Some things you cannot really translate.
   When you talk about a {targh}, do you say "brown-colored animal with
teeth like a wild boar, a body like a pig an fur like a dog from Kronos"???
No, you just say "Targ", because that's what it is.
   In German, they also use the words "Targ", and Tribble, and Marshmallow.

Quvar.

*         Wollt ihr Marc Okrand treffen?         *
*     Den Erfinder der Klingonischen Sprache!    *
*          Ich grüsse ihn im Sommer.  :-)        *
* INFO: http://www.levinius.de/deutsch/qepa.html *