tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 20 18:22:23 2001

marshmallows (was Re: When writing Klingon fiction...)

ja' ro'Han:
>Further to *marshmallows*: wouldn't "sweet white spheres" (as far as I know,
>Klingon has no word for sugar) be enough,

Is "sweet white spheres" enough in English?  I don't think so.  The name
"marshmallow" has a specific enough meaning, both literally and culturally,
that I think the name itself is important.  Consider the "unwieldy"
explanation you must give in English to someone who doesn't know what a
marshmallow is, and stop complaining that it's no easier in Klingon. :)

Coming up with a way to say it in a "Klingon accent" is a tricky enough
proposition that I'm not even going to try.  When I talk about burritos in
English, I use the Spanish word "burrito".  When I talk about marshmallows
in Klingon, I'll be using the English word "marshmallow".

>moQmey na'ran rur 'ej chIS

Are you trying to use {na'ran rur} adjectivally, as if it meant "be sweet"?
That doesn't work.  The thing you're describing has to be the subject of
the verb {rur}.

>I find it *very* interesting that Klingon has a word for saccharin
><<Haqchor>> but not for sugar.

{HaQchor} -- note the capital {Q} -- has a completely different chemical
makeup from sugars; it's almost a coincidence that it tastes sweet to
people.  We know Klingons place different values on taste than do other
cultures; {tlhorgh} to a Klingon is best translated "pungent", but
non-Klingons would often say "rank".  Perhaps refined sugar doesn't have a
noteworthy taste and thus doesn't deserve any sort of common name.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level