tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 14 10:43:54 2001

Re: camping terms

From: "Quvar valer" <[email protected]>
> Grammar question to this: How use more than one "adjective"-verb?
>
> "Big black shoe"
> {waq tIn qIj}?

You don't.  Okrand doesn't say so explicitly, but he comes very close to
doing so in the KGT discussion of colors.  You CAN use multiple verbs of
quality in other ways:

tInbogh waq 'ej qIjbogh  (This form has been used by Okrand on multiple
occasions and is, as far as I am concerned, the preferred method.  It
follows the rules of Klingon in a subtly tricky way and does not mimic
common English usage.  I don't think Okrand has used other means to express
multiple qualities in the same noun phrase.)
tInbogh waq qIj
qIjbogh waq tIn

For three or more qualties, it gets messier, but follows the same rules:

"Big, black, silly shoe"

tInbogh waq 'ej qIjbogh 'ej Doghbogh

tInbogh qIjbogh 'ej Doghbogh waq (there is precedent for using the verb
conjunctions only once when three verbs are conjoined, though I think it's
too obviously modeled from English)

tInbogh waq qIj 'ej Doghbogh

etc.

SuStel