tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 10 18:19:48 2001

RE: *Paramount* chaw'

bInajba'.

> If I want permission to use Klingon in a book, do I write to Paramount
> Pictures?

You should talk to HetaQ. He has the honor of having written and produced
the only banned book in existance with my name in the credits. In 1996, he
wrote "Secret Fighting Arts of The Warrior Race: Volume 1 - betleH yIqel".
He asked Paramount if they wanted to do the book. They turned him down. He
did the book with the following on the cover: "This book was not prepared,
approved, licensed, or endorsed by any entity involved in creating or
producing the Star Trek television series and films". They sued him and won.
He had to destroy his inventory of books. Fortunately, a number of us
managed to squirrel our copies away... It's a beautiful book. I'm proud to
have had a part in it.

Anyway, it does serve as a warning that you have to either make Paramount
happy or manage to never attract their attention. Neither path is
particularly easy. Dr. Lawrence Schoen (the head of the KLI) can probably
help you try to follow the first path and make Paramount happy. Good luck.

> Who coins new Klingon words? Is the KLI able to do it, or is it
> solely the
> prerogative of Paramount and/or Dr Okrand?

Only Okrand. Often he covers Paramount's butt by backfitting words they've
made up out of nothing, like parmaq and parmaqqay. For that matter,
sometimes he covers OUR butts, too, like HolQeD and yejHaD. Sometimes he
gives us gifts we ask for, like pIrmuS, 'arlogh and nughI', and sometimes he
just surprises us with new words out of nowhere, like {rachwI'}. Meanwhile,
it's always his choice as to when to do this.

> Satlho'
>
> ro'Han

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level