tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 14 08:28:47 2001

Re: camping terms (was Re: *Paramount* chaw')

QIS:
>camping trip.  I quickly gave up because it ended up being largely
>English since I could find no words for camping, tent, axe, fishing,
>knots, marshmallows, etc.

ghunchu'wI':
: There are no direct Klingon translations for many English nouns.  That
: shouldn't stop you from speaking of taking a group of young boys on an
: overnight expedition, establishing a temporary base, setting up small
: soft-walled buildings, and sleeping on the ground.  There *is* a word for
: "axe" (it's spelled "ax" in KGT) [....]

For those lacking KGT:

  "The traditional Klingon arsenal also includes the ax, an implement
   with a heavy, flattened blade mounted crosswise at the end of a
   handle. The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS}
   and its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when
   referring to humanoid anatomy, mean 'arm' and 'open, flat hand'
   (as opposed to a fist), respectively, suggesting that at one time
   the ax was considered an extension of the warrior himself. A double-
   headed ax is a {jey'naS}, while an ax with an added spike at the end
   is a {'alngegh}. To wield or swing an ax is {Qach}." (p. 63f.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level