tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 14:56:35 2001

topic'e' in sentence header (Was: Re: KLBC: Grammer questions)

lab SuStel

> From: "Qov" <[email protected]>
> > At the very beginning of a clause comes information about the time,
> > manner and location of the action.  That means time expressions
> > like "today" or "in the morning, most adverbs, and any noun or
> > noun phrase with a type-5 suffix other than -'e'.

> If I might jump in with a comment on my favorite "topic" of the
> moment (I didn't plan that joke--really!), there's really no reason
> to exclude nouns
> with the /-'e'/ suffix from being able to exist in the "header"
> space of sentences.  We even have at least one example (qIbDaq >
SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law'
> Hoch Dun puS--Star Trek 5).  If you've got a topic noun that doesn't
> fit in as subject or object, throw it in the "header" space you're
> talking about here.

My exclusion was not intended to forbid -'e' nouns from appearing in
the header space, but rather to avoid confining them to that space.  As
you know, a noun can be tagged with -'e' and simultaneously serve as
the subject or object of a sentence.  I have the utmost respect for
your occasional, unorthodox yet meticulously reasoned suggestions.  pIj
bIlugh jIjatlh. :)  chaq pImwI' vIchupbogh Datu', HolQeDvaD -'e' vIqeltaHvIS?

=====
Qov - pab 'utlh
bI*yahoo* pagh bI*yahoo*be': jISaHbe' jIH.