tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 14:31:51 2001

RE: KLBC: cha'Dich

yeygha' said:

> jumuv 'e' vIQuch.  tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' chu' jIH je.
>
> I am glad you joined us. I also am a new student of Klingon.

{Quch} is defined as "be happy", so it describes a state/condition of
something and can only have a subject, not an object.
Instead, you can say "Because you joined us, I am happy."

> > Hopefully that's understandable. The word order frazzles me a
> > bit.
>
> maj. jIyaj.

maj.

> > I also wanted to say "I am sad because Voyager is
> > leaving.", but I admit to not understanding how the sentence
> > should be worded.  This is what I came up with:
> >
> > 'Voyager'mo ghoSlI jI'IQ.
> > (Due to Voyager going away, I am sad)
>
> jI'IQ je, 'ach tugh "Series V" wIbejlaH. QaQ 'e' vIpIH.
>
> I am sad too, but soon we can watch Series V. I expect it to be good.

maj.
'a jI'IQbe' jIH. *Star Trek* vItIvbe'choH. vIbejbe'choH.

> > Corrections are welcome.  Qapla!
>
> tugh DuQaH taD. yerDaj chaH pab lugh'e'.
>
> taD will help you soon. correct grammar is his domain.

Since "correct grammar" is an "it" and not a "them", you want to use the
pronoun {'oH} instead of {chaH} here.

> again, welcome to the tlhIngan-Hol list :)

- taD