tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 14:22:52 2001

RE: KLBC: Grammer questions

> Qov:
> > Next assignment:

yeygha':

> was this one for me too? well, I did them anyway...

I think Qov intended to tailor them for qonwI', but I'll check your grammar
here anyway.

> > Three years ago, a brave warrior killed a mugato.
>
> wej ben mughato' HoH SuvwI' yoH.

maj.

> > While they were fighting, the mugato's claw wounded the warrior's skin.
>
> SuvtaHvIS SuvwI' DIr 'oy' mughato' pach.

{'oy'} means "ache, hurt, be sore", so normally it doesn't have an object.
You want to modify the verb and say "the claw causes the skin to be sore".

> > The damage was minor, but the warrior began to weaken.
>
> ram QIH 'ach pujchoH SuvwI'.

maj.

> > Damn!  The animal's claws are toxic!
>
> Hu'tegh! SuQ Ha'DIbaH pach!
>
> Were you wanting a particular invective here? I just picked one at
> random...

maj. I'm guessing that Qov didn't have a specific word in mind for "Damn!"
Another possible way to express this idea is to use the adverbial {jay'} at
the end of a sentence. For example:
{Qob pach jay'!} "The claw(s) are @$%!dangerous!"

> > A special woman can cure the disease.
>
> rop vorlaH be' le'.

maj.

> > Klingons never rely on alien women.
>
> not be'pu' nov wuv tlhInganpu'.

maj.

> > If you go to that planet, you can see the Klingon's bones.
>
> yuQvetlh DajaHchuch tlhIngan Hommey DaleghlaH.

Watch your spelling for {DajaHchugh}.

- taD