tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 07 18:20:37 2001

RE: translation

> sa' yemej asks:
> : It was asked of me by a friend to translate his song into
> {tlhIngan Hol}.
> : I was doing fine until I tried translating the word[dollars] to
> the tlhIngan
> : equivalent. I have exhausted my resorces and would appreciate
> assistance.
>
> Of course, there is no Klingon word for "dollar", but we do know
> of two Klingon
> monetary units:
>
> {DeQ}     credit (n.) - "credits" are also used by the Federation
>
> {DarSeq}  *darsek*, a Klingon unit of currency (n.)
> Does it have to be "dollars"?  If not, you could use the general
> word {Huch}
> "money"; if so, use *{Dal'ar} - or whatever spelling you prefer -
> or just say
> /dollar/ and consider it an exotic foreign word.

When using english and we're discussing the international stock market or
something and we mention foreign currency, how do we refer to the Japanese
Yen?  "Yen".  How do we refer to the Russian Ruble (whatever it is)?  Same
with German.
Etc, etc.  We use their name given to it.

In klingon we would still say "yen" and "dollar" etc.

But then if you want to SOUND klingon, then convert it to DarSeq.  What is
the current exchange rate for US Dollars to DarSeq?

DloraH

Back to archive top level