tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 07 20:37:42 2001

Re: tuQaHlaH'a' ?

<< Subj:     RE: tuQaHlaH'a' ?
 Date:  01-05-06 23:39:17 EDT
 From:  [email protected] (Will Martin)
 To:    [email protected]

 I can't stop myself. You have offered a very worthy text for translation,
 and I should just point you toward hints to translate it yourself, but I am
 compelled to try. Forgive me for that.

Consider yourself forgiven, my friend. Many artists work with stone and
chisel, more with paint and brush. You are a wordsmith...and no less an
artist. You have an interesting approach to Klingon. I always enjoy your
posts. And I was impressed that you found the original text as intriguing as
did I.

juDmoS

 maqIHchuqmeH jaj Daqaw'a', *Edronh*?

 > The other man said he did. "As if it were yesterday".

 vIqawchu'. wa'Hu' rur. jajmaj mojpu' jajvetlh.

 > "You spoke to me of honor that day - the honor a warrior may
 > accord another
 > warrior whom he has come to respect.

 SuvwI' vuvchoHlu'DI', quv, qaSDI' jajmaj 'e' DaDelchu'.

 > But there is another kind of
 > honor, my
 > friend.

 I see two ways to go here:

 latlh quvmeH He tu'lu'.

 latlh batlh Segh tu'lu'.

 The second is a more literal translation, but I like the first better.

 > It is the kind a man must seek in himself - a love of
 > virtue he must
 > not abandon, no matter the consequences - or else admit to the
 > world that he
 > is less than a man."

 Riiiiiight.

 ghobna' toy'chu'chugh loD vaj quv. Qu'vam lujchugh vaj nenbe', HochvaD 'e'
 chIDnIS.

 > Stirring...insightful...and so quintessentially Klingon. I just
 > had to try
 > translating it. I'm still trying to work out the details...it is
 > much more
 > difficult than I had anticipated. And the ambiguity issue has
 > created more
 > questions than answers...

 This is true of most educational experiences.

 charghwI' 'utlh

Thank you again....

Back to archive top level