tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 07 15:40:04 2001

Re: translation

sa' yemej asks:
: It was asked of me by a friend to translate his song into {tlhIngan Hol}.
: I was doing fine until I tried translating the word[dollars] to the tlhIngan
: equivalent. I have exhausted my resorces and would appreciate assistance.

Of course, there is no Klingon word for "dollar", but we do know of two Klingon
monetary units:

{DeQ}     credit (n.) - "credits" are also used by the Federation

{DarSeq}  *darsek*, a Klingon unit of currency (n.)  This is a coin in TNG
"First Born".  (Worf gave a street vendor a couple of coins for a bag of dried
gagh; later, Alexander said a man who offered to show him Molor's head in a box
for five darseks.)

  "Since there are any number of phrases involving money that could be
   taken the wrong way if {Huch} [money] is pronounced {Quch}, [forehead]
   many tourists follow the Klingon practice of using the term {DarSeqmey}
   ... to refer to money in general." (KGT p.194)

Does it have to be "dollars"?  If not, you could use the general word {Huch}
"money"; if so, use *{Dal'ar} - or whatever spelling you prefer - or just say
/dollar/ and consider it an exotic foreign word.

BTW: Remember that plural suffixes are always optional, especially with
numbers.  "Five dollars" can be either {vagh Dal'armey} or just {vagh Dal'ar}.
This is a useful little rule if you need to add or lose a syllable when
translating poetry.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons