tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 06 20:39:05 2001

RE: tuQaHlaH'a' ?

I can't stop myself. You have offered a very worthy text for translation,
and I should just point you toward hints to translate it yourself, but I am
compelled to try. Forgive me for that.

Note that even in English, this is basically two sentences, slightly
scrambled. Straightening it out in Klingon:

WHOAH. I just had a strange inspiration.

maqIHchuqmeH jaj Daqaw'a', *Edronh*?

I really like {-meH}. Basically, the context here is that Edronh knows
damned well that you and he have already met, so he knows that this is not
some strange statement saying that the purpose of him remembering a day is
so that you and he can meet. That's gibberish. But if {maqIHmeH} applies to
the noun {jaj} and not to the verb {qaw}, suddenly, it makes sense. The
purpose of that day was your meeting each other. I think this fits the
significance of that day in this text.

The thing I was originally going to say was:

maqIHpu'. jajvetlh Daqaw'a', *Edronh*?

I definitely like the first one better, though.

> The other man said he did. "As if it were yesterday".

vIqawchu'. wa'Hu' rur. jajmaj mojpu' jajvetlh.

> "You spoke to me of honor that day - the honor a warrior may
> accord another
> warrior whom he has come to respect.

SuvwI' vuvchoHlu'DI', quv, qaSDI' jajmaj 'e' DaDelchu'.

> But there is another kind of
> honor, my
> friend.

I see two ways to go here:

latlh quvmeH He tu'lu'.

latlh batlh Segh tu'lu'.

The second is a more literal translation, but I like the first better.

> It is the kind a man must seek in himself - a love of
> virtue he must
> not abandon, no matter the consequences - or else admit to the
> world that he
> is less than a man."

Riiiiiight.

ghobna' toy'chu'chugh loD vaj quv. Qu'vam lujchugh vaj nenbe', HochvaD 'e'
chIDnIS.

> Stirring...insightful...and so quintessentially Klingon. I just
> had to try
> translating it. I'm still trying to work out the details...it is
> much more
> difficult than I had anticipated. And the ambiguity issue has
> created more
> questions than answers...

This is true of most educational experiences.

Try love, sometime. Now THERE's something that will give you more questions
than answers.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level