tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 05 07:27:18 2001

RE: tuQaHlaH'a' ?

While eliminating unnecessary words, why not go a step further:

jIHvaD wej 'ay'mey DaDel.

I would assume that if you are describing, likely you are speaking. Maybe
you were writing, instead and explicitly wanted to make sure I knew you were
making sounds with your mouth and not text with your hands, but otherwise
the {jatlh} stuff seems superfluous.

> I'm thinking more like "Yesterday spoke to me about killing the targ.":
>
> wa'Hu' targh vIHoH 'e' DaDel bIjatlhvIS

Just to offer another alternative casting:

wa'Hu' maja'chuq. targh HoHlu' 'e' Daqel.

Basically, I tried to stay closer to the vague features of your English
translation. In "Yesterday [you] spoke to me about killing the targ," you
don't mention whether the killing has actually occured or not, nor do you
identify who might kill it. I took care of the "Yesterday you spoke to me,"
assuming that it was actually a discussion. Making it {ja'chuq} also
discourages the assumption that we are dealing with any sort of direct
quotation. "You" are the one talking about killing the targ, so {Daqel} is
appropriate. While we discussed things yesterday, you considered killing the
targ, though since the English doesn't indicate who kills the targ, {targh
HoHlu'} seemed appropriate.

> > It'd be convenient if we could say */quv wIja'chuq/ "We discuss
> honor," but
> > we can't.  This is why I suggest /quv'e' maja'chuq/ "On the
> topic of honor,
> > know this: we confer."
> >
> > wa'Hu' batlh'e' maja'chuq.
>
> Aren't you still putting batlh'e' in the object position?  I'd be more
> inclined to see ja'chuq as taking an object, the object being the topic of
> the discussion.

The prefix {ma-} says there is no object, except for the reflexive one
implied with {-chuq}. That's the rub. Meanwhile, you can put any noun at the
head of the sentence with {-'e'} on it without any real grammatical reason
to be in the sentence, except to announce the topic of the sentence. In this
case, {wa'Hu' batlh'e' maja'chuq} works for me because it basically means,
"As for honor, yesterday, we discussed." It does seem a little strange, but
it is as close to solving the problem of how to say "We discussed X" as I've
ever seen, short of splitting things out into two sentences:

maja'chuq. batlh wIqel.

You can pin them back together by making one a dependent clause.

Assuming that the discussion had honor as its core focus:

batlh wIqelmeH maja'chuq. The purpose of our discussion was to consider
honor.
batlh wIqel wIneHmo' maja'chuq. We discuss because we want to consider
honor.

If honor was merely a topic among many that were discussed:

maja'chuqtaHvIS batlh wIqel.

If honor was the openning topic of discussion that then went on to other
topics:

maja'chuqchoHDI' batlh wIqel.

If discussion wandered a lot, but repeatedly kept returning to honor:

maja'chuqtaHvIS batlh wIqelqa'.

Klingon offers such a beautiful degree of efficient specificity

> ...Paul (who, oddly enough, is better at grammar than vocabulary.  :)

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level