tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 04 15:10:59 2001

RE: Hol chu' vIHaD

taD:
: I noticed before that you had mis-used the prefix {Du-} in one your KLBC
: messages, and I assumed it was just a typo. However, since I don't want you
: to mis-learn it, I'll comment here:
: In this case, you want to say {DalaD'a'} instead of {DulaD'a'}. The prefix
: {Da-} is "you - it", and the prefix  {Du-} is "it - you".

A good mnemonic for {Du-} "he/she/it [does something to] you (sg.)" is to
remember that in German Du means "you" (sg.).  Another common way is to
memorize a SHORT (!) catchy line from canon.  E.g.:

  Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam.
  This helmet suits you. TKD

  Duvuv SuS DaneH'a'?
  Do you want the wind to respect you? KGT

I haven't figured out a good mnemonic for {lI-} "he/she/it/they [does something
to] you (plural)" other than memorizing its sole appearance in canon:

  lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey
  If the bugs do not bite you! PK

The advantage of memorizing examples over puns is that you'll also learn a
little vocabulary and the use of a few other affixes:  {-choH}, {-moH}, {-vam},
{Da-}, {-chugh} and {-mey}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons