tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 04 13:13:34 2001

Re: tuQaHlaH'a' ?

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> How about:
>
> bijatlhvIS batlh DaDel
>
> I don't have my TKD with me; I don't remember if -vIS verbs have to go
> after or before...  But basically, "When you spoke, you described honor."

This works, though don't forget the obligatory /-taH/ whenever you use
/-vIS/ -- /bIjatlhtaHvIS/.

And of course it only works in cases where one "describes" honor.  If it was
"questioned" or "denied" or something else, choose another verb in place of
/Del/.  I definitely prefer /Del/ over /qel/, though, as a matter of style.

> If you want to get more complex, how about
>
> <complicated bit> 'e' DaDel bIjatlhvIS batlh

(What's that /batlh/ doing at the end there?)

More complex as in something like "You told me about the three pillars of
honor"?  In such a case, the /'e'/ wouldn't be necessary:

batlh wej 'ay'mey DaDel jIHvaD bIjatlhtaHvIS.

> Going out on a limb, how about:
>
> wa'hu' batlh wI'ja'chuq
>
> "Yesterday we discussed honor"  (not sure if it shoudn't be "batlhvaD";
> does ja'chuq take an object?)

No, it doesn't.  /ja'chuq/ is a verb plus a suffix, not a distinct verb.
For instance, you could never say /ja'chuqHa'/, but you could conceivably
say /ja'Ha'chuq/ (/-Ha'/ always comes before any other suffixes).  Since
verbs with /-chuq/ don't HAVE objects (the object is the same as the
subject), they always take a "no object" verb prefix and don't have
suffixes.  That /ja'chuq/ is not a distinct verb has been confirmed by Marc
Okrand.

It'd be convenient if we could say */quv wIja'chuq/ "We discuss honor," but
we can't.  This is why I suggest /quv'e' maja'chuq/ "On the topic of honor,
know this: we confer."

wa'Hu' batlh'e' maja'chuq.

SuStel
Stardate 1341.1