tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 02 15:07:24 2001

RE: KLBC-Reflexive verb suffixes

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Steven Boozer wrote:
> I just realized that in English, to score means, inter alia:
>
>   1 a : to keep a record or account of by or as if by notches on a tally
>     b : to enter in a record
>     c : to mark with significant lines or notches (as in keeping account)
>   2 to mark with lines, grooves, scratches, or notches
>
> As in English, context keeps the two meanings distinct.
>
> (Is this yet another bit of Okrandian wordplay?)

Dictionary.com provides quite a few:

1.  A notch or incision, especially one that is made to keep a tally.
2  Sports & Games:
	a.  A usually numerical record of a competitive event
	b. The total number of points made by each competitor...blah blah
	c. The number of points attributed to a competitor or team.
3.  A result, usually expressed numerically, of a test or examination.
4.
	a.  An amount due, a debt
	b.  A grievance that is harbored and requires satisfaction
		(settle an old score)
5.  A ground; a reason
6.  A group of 20 items
7.  scores:  Large numbers:  Scores of people attended the rally.
8.  Music:
	a.  The written form of a composition...
	b.  A composition written for a musical comedy
9.  Slang (my favorite -- Paul)
	a.  The act of securing an advantage
	b.  The act or an instance of buying illicit drugs
	c.  A successful robbery
	d.  A sexual conquest.

Wow, talk about off tangent.  :)  Back to my hidey-hole.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **