tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 02 14:24:37 2001

RE: KLBC-Reflexive verb suffixes

taD:
: Keep in mind that {pe''egh} also means "keep score", since apparently
: Klingons would use marks/scratches on an arm in order to record victories.

So did we, though maybe not on our persons!

I just realized that in English, to score means, inter alia:

  1 a : to keep a record or account of by or as if by notches on a tally
    b : to enter in a record
    c : to mark with significant lines or notches (as in keeping account)
  2 to mark with lines, grooves, scratches, or notches

As in English, context keeps the two meanings distinct.

(Is this yet another bit of Okrandian wordplay?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level