tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 02 09:20:43 2001

Dev vs. Dor

peHruS
> I have seen {Dev} used mainly as "lead," such as MC a meeting or host a
> conference.  TKD gives the gloss "guide," also.  Please teach me the
> correct  way to say "The guide leads me."  {muDev DevwI'.}?  Of course,
> {tlhej} is a  possibility.  {DorwI' vItlhej.}?

"The guide leads me" could be translated differently depending on the
context, and the attitude towards the guide.

muDev DevwI'
muDev DorwI'
DorwI' vItlhej
munung Sut SuD tuQbogh be'Hom  (In Canada a "guide" is equivalent to a US
"girl scout", and they wear blue)

There is obviously no one correct translation for any phrase in one
language into another language.  Remember that what you have seen used is
generally what people here talk about, and we're more likely to talk about
conferences and meetings than missions.  And remember that none of us is a
native speaker.

charghwI' 'utlh
>Maybe it is just me, but I've always had the sense just from the glosses
>and the small amount of canon I've seen using {Dev}, and the absence of
>canon using {Dor} that {Dev} involves a sense of being in command and
>having responsibility for some mission, while {Dor} merely involves
>responsibility for getting someone from one place to another, perhaps with
>some security responsibilities. muDor 'avwI' 'ach muDev Sa'.

No canon?  Was the Klingon assigned to make sure alien visitors did not get
into trouble (from the audiotape) not a DorwI'?  I do see the same
distinction that a DevwI' has more command.  I imagine that the English
considered the natives they hired to show them things to 'discover' in
Africa to be DorwI'.
My w, q, a, s and left shift keys don't work every time I hit them.  Please
use this information to reinterpret anything I say that may confuse or
offend you.

ov :)

Back to archive top level