tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 02 09:08:48 2001

Re: KLIC: Dev vs. Dor

peHruS:
> I have seen {Dev} used mainly as "lead," such as MC a meeting or host a
> conference.  TKD gives the gloss "guide," also.  Please teach me the
> correct  way to say "The guide leads me."  {muDev DevwI'.}? Of course,
> {tlhej} is a  possibility.  {DorwI' vItlhej.}?

charghwI':
: Maybe it is just me, but I've always had the sense just from the glosses
: and the small amount of canon I've seen using {Dev}, and the absence of
: canon using {Dor} that {Dev} involves a sense of being in command and
: having responsibility for some mission, while {Dor} merely involves
: responsibility for getting someone from one place to another, perhaps with
: some security responsibilities. muDor 'avwI' 'ach muDev Sa'.

Actually, there is canon for the verb {Dor} "escort":

  tachDaq choDor'a'?
  Will you escort me to a bar? CK

and for the derived noun {DorwI'} "escort":

  nov DorwI'
  alien escort CK

but none for the synonymous noun {Dor} "escort" (n.).

As for the verb {Dev} "lead, guide", we have:

  wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran
  May Gowron continue to lead the empire. KGT

  wo' ghawran DevtaHjaj
  May Gowron continue to lead the Empire. (toast) KGT

  juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
  I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
  ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of commander
   of this ship.") KGT

  qaDev
  I lead you. (STC:KLS)

{DevmeH paq} "guidebook" (untranslated):

  SuvwI' DevmeH paq
  "A Warrior's Guide" (the subtitle of TKW)

{DevwI'} "leader":

  nIteb SuvnIS DevwI'
  A leader must stand alone. ("A leader must fight alone"). TKW

  wa' Qu'vaD wa' DevwI' tu'lu'
  For one mission, there is one leader. TKW

{yejquv DevwI'} "Leader of the High Council":

  Gowron is addressed as {DevwI'} by his weapons officer ChaqI in the
  STK novel:
   - "{DevwI'}," she said. "The Tagana is prepared. We await your
      orders." (p.77)
   - "No, {DevwI'}!" ChaqI said. (p. 101)

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
   pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron...named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard,
   who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

  ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
  where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy
   and decide upon the fate of the Empire. S25

{DevwI'na'} "a true leader (a definitely unquestioned leader)" PK

The difference seems to be that {Dor}/{DorwI'} are used in the more basic or
literal sense (i.e. someone who guides or escorts someone else: e.g. a tour
guide or official "minder") and {Dev}/{DevwI'} for the more figurative or
social sense (i.e. a political leader: e.g. der Fuehrer, il Duce, Vozhd'),
sometimes as a synonym for the more military {ra'}/{ra'wI'} (cf. the second TKW
example).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons