tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 01 22:04:43 2001

Re: Learning vocabulary

In a message dated 4/25/2001 9:43:40 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I have the same problem, especially since I don't have much time for the
> language. That not all too many words refer to the daily life we have makes
> it
> harder. Though my son knows Klingon curses now lol

One of the ways we teach at valtev tuq every Saturday afternoon from
4:30-6:00 is by talking about common things.  We pick up a book and describe
it.  We go to the dining area and identify things.  We take a walk out of
doors and talk about what we see.  Of course, the discussion is very simple
at first, but some folks are actually getting better!

Then we sit down and do lots and lots and lots of paradigm drill.

Some of the students have taken to adhering stickers with the Klingon words
onto objects around the house.  They are to say the word out loud each time
they pass that object.

In the Klingon Language Textbook, there are role playing exercises.  Lesson
Two teaches numbers and requires students to use Klingon numbers every time
they get a chance:  ATM PIN, office key, counting anything at all, telephone
numbers.  Don't worry; you'll get faster.

peHruS

Back to archive top level