tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 20 05:59:19 2001

RE: KLBC naghHommey

> lI'pu' naQSej:
>
> >  ropyaHDaq jIHpu'.  DaHjaj vItlheD.
>
> ghIq  ghel taD
>
> >  DaH bIpIvchoH'a'?

jang naQSej:

> choghel 'e' qatlho'.

It's probably better here to use the verb suffix {-mo'}, and say "Because
you ask me, I thank you". {'e' qatlho'} sounds awkward, and would mean
something like "I appreciate you that (you ask me)".

> Do'Ha', wej jIpIvchoH 'ach jIDubpu'.  HuH ngaSwI'wIjDaq
> naghHommey tu'lu'.  qay'.

Do'Ha'qu'.

> tugh HuH ngaSwI'Daq' 'oy'moH.  'ach wa'
> wen, naghHommeymo' joy' vISIQ.
> {joy'} appears only as a verb in TKD, however, {be'joy'} appears to be a
> noun, so I hope treating it as a noun is OK.

There are some canon nouns that are made up of non-nouns. {be'joy'},
{HIvDuj}, and {nalqaD} are some examples. However, we can't automatically
assume that we can separate these words and use parts of them.  Originally
the words may have been nouns, but they aren't necessarily used that way
now.
In this case, you could use the noun {bep} ("agony"). Another solution would
be still to use the verb {joy'}, but use it as a verb. For example,
{mujoy' naghHommey} "The stones torture me"

> "pancreatitis"mo' jIbech.  "pancreatitis"
> SIQchugh, oy'mo' jach tlhIngan.  'ej Human jIH neH.  qu' ropyaH,
> HaqwI'pu',
> Qel boQpu' je.

When I read this, at first I thought you meant that the surgery was "fierce"
and intense. To avoid ambiguity, in this case it might be better to use the
non-slang word {Dun}, instead of the slang term {qu'}. For a Klingon, a
"fierce" hospital and a "wonderful" hospital could be the same thing, but
for a human, they usually aren't.

> 'oy' nge'bogh Hergh munob.  Herghvam chenmoHmeH naH Doq lulo'.
> Herghmey latlh munob je.

{latlh} is used in front of the noun it modifies. You could also simply
write {latlhmey munob je} ("They also gave me others"), since we can tell
from context that you're talking about medicine.

> naH Herghmo', ropwIj jISaHbe'.

{ropwIj} is the object of the verb {SaH} here, so you want to use the verb
prefix {vI-} ("I - him/her/it/them") instead of {jI-} ("I - no object").

> tlhoS jIQuch.
> cha' Hogh ropyaHDaq jIratlh.

Generally, time stamps such as {DaHjaj}, {wa' ben}, etc. refer to when an
event happened. For {cha' Hogh}, you're actually saying that the event
occurred over this period of time. To indicate this duration, you can say
{qaStaHvIS cha' Hogh...} ("While 2 weeks were happening...").

> ropwIjmo', cha' Hoch QaQ qas.

Since you want to say "two good things happened", I'm guessing that {Hoch}
is a typo for {Doch}?
{cha' Doch QaQ} ("Two good things") would be the subject of the verb {qaS},
and there is no object. So you need to change the word order, so that the
verb goes before the subject:
{...qaS cha' Doch QaQ} "Two good things occurred"

> jISojlaH 'ej jItlhulthlaH.

{Soj} is the word for "food", and {Sop} is "eat". Careful you don't
misremember them.

> vaj, cha' bID
> cheb vIchIl.  (chebmey vIchilnIS.)

I don't know if a Klingon would use the word {chIl} to indicate that they
weigh less. Judging from the definition of "lose, misplace", it might only
refer to physical things that you misplace. For weight, you could also use
the word {ngI'} ("have a weight of"). For example,
{X chebmey vIngI'pu'} "I had weighed X chebs (5 pound weight units)"
{DaH X chebmey vIngI'} "Now I weigh X chebs"

> QongDaqvo' jItlheDlaHbe'.  vaj, 'oHDaq
> jIQot 'ej tlhIngan Hol mu'tay vIghoj.

maj.

> juH vIcheghDI', tetlhvam QInmey vIlaD.  law'!  ropyaH vI'elpa', QIt
> QInmeyvam vIlaD.  'ach DaH, nom jIlaD.  DaH SovwIj law', jIroppa' SovwIj
> puS.
> I had trouble with the comparative, and I'm still
> not sure - can you use {law'} and {puS} by themselves?  I initially tried
> {DaH jIyaj law', jIroppa' jIyaj puS} - now I understand more than before I
> was ill), and I think it may be OK, since the construction is "A verb {law
> '}, B verb {puS}".

For comparisons, the law'/puS construction uses the form {A Q law' B Q puS}.
In this case, you left out the quality Q. The quality word is a verb such as
{ghung} ("be hungry"), {QeH} ("be angry"), {tIn} ("be big"), etc. In
English, these words would be adjectives.  So {jIyaj} wouldn't work as a
quality word.

On this list, we've used other words to modify the law'/puS construction
(such as a time stamp), but you should still include the 2 nouns, the 1
quality, and the words {law'} and {puS}. If you want to say that your
knowledge is more than before, the quality word could be {law'} again, or
{Doj}. Since your knowledge isn't just more in quantity, but also improved
in quality, {Doj} might be better in this case. For example:

{DaH SovwIj Doj law' jIroppa' SovwIj Doj puS} "Now my knowledge is more
impressive than my knowledge before I was ill"

So the A & B nouns are {SovwIj} & {SovwIj}, and the Q quality word is {Doj}.

> tugh tlhoy jIjeQ.  mu' vIqawHa' vaj <QIm> jIja', 'ach <QIn> vIHechpu'.
> jIqontaHvIS, jIbejmeH, mu'ghom vIlo'nIStaH

No problems here.

> 'ach qep'a' vISuchlaHmo' jI'IQ.

I think you're missing a {-be'} after {-laH} here, since you *aren't* able
to visit.

> (yIvbeH vIje'pu'!)  "Europe"Daq qaSmo' qep'a', jIQuchpu'.
> yuch juH 'oH "Belgie" (yuch vISojlaHbe', 'ach SojlaH  Hoch
> juHpu'wI').

Just some vocabulary here that you need to double-check. "Eat" is {Soj}, and
"friend" is {jup}.
Also, I might choose to use {Hal} instead of {juH}, for "Belgium is the home
of chocolate". You really mean that it's a source of chocolate, and not
really a "home".

> 'a' jar javDIch muHaqlu'.

In TKD, on p. 38-39, it explains that when you use the suffix {-lu'}, the
verb prefix changes. In this case, it would become {vIHaqlu'} ("I have
someone perform surgery on me").
You could also remove the {-lu'}, and say {muHaq Qel} ("The doctor will
perform surgery on me").

> HuH ngaS nge'lu.  'ej naghHommeywIj
> jay'!  jIpIv.

You omitted {-wI'} from the first sentence - {HuH ngaSwI'}.
Also, it might be better to use {je} after {naghHommeywIj}, instead of
{'ej}. The second "sentence" isn't really a sentence (since it doesn't have
a verb).

> Queries:
>
> Is {tlheD} transitive?  There was a list fairly recently
> and I don't think it appeared there, hence the vo'.

I don't believe that {tlheD} was identified as transitive, but I don't think
it was identified as definitely intransitive, either. You can always use
transitive verbs without an object, so using {-vo'} as you did here would be
fine.

> I assumed that {naH} can be a flower as well as fruit, because of
> naHjej, thistle.

Unless you're speaking with a botanist, and need to make a distinction
between the two, {naH} should suffice here.

bIpIvchoHjaj!

- taD