tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 13 12:57:03 2001

RE: KLBC: learners

naQSej said:

>  ropyaHDaq jIHpu'.  DaHjaj vItlheD.

Your grammar here is fine.
DaH bIpIvchoH'a'?

> wa'maHcha'Hu' QImvam vIlI' 'e' vIHech.

{pel'aQDaj ghorpa', DalI' 'e' DaHech'a'?} :-P

I assume that you meant "I intended to transmit this *message* 12 days ago."
{QIm} is "egg"; what you want to use is {QIn} ("message").

> jIQupDI' Hoch Doch vItagh 'ej jItaH.

I read this as "When I was young, I started every thing and I continue."
It's grammatically correct, I'm just not sure whether it gets your idea
across properly without having to read the English translation. Also, {Doch}
probably should only be used for physical things, rather than general
concepts.  Instead of {Doch}, in this case you might want to use something
such as {mIw} ("procedure, process").

>  ('ach Dochmey lI'bogh taghwI'pu' vIlughmoH 'e' vIQubpu'be').

maj. I like the ambiguity of the first part, since it could mean that you
are correcting the beginners, or the things that they transmit.
Also, instead of {Qub} ("think"), you might also consider using {qel}
("consider").

> KLI vImuvpu' je, 'ej qontabogh Qov vIlaD 'e' vItIv.

The only problem I see here is with {qonta'bogh}. It's generally good style
to include the head noun of a {-bogh} clause. So, you shouldn't leave out
{lut} (or whatever Qov wrote). Instead, say {...lut qonta'bogh Qov vIlaD}
("...I read *the story* that Qov had recorded").

> Hamlet jatmey je vIje'
> ('ej jatmey'e' vIlaD).

maj.
jatmeyvaD lut vIqon. Hamlet Qatlh law' jatmey Qatlh puS.

> 'ach Qaghmey Hutlhbogh tlhIngan Hol qonlu' 'e' Qatlh.

{Qatlh} means "be difficult", so we can't say {'e' Qatlh}. We also can't say
{Qatlh 'e'}, because {'e'} is only used as the object of a verb.
So, to say "Doing X is difficult", we generally use "The task of doing X is
difficult". Or "The in-order-to-do-X task is difficult".
This usually would be {Qatlh XmeH Qu'}.

> (jIHvaD mu'tlheghvetlh Qatlhbej).

Watch out for word order here. {mu'tlheghvetlh} is the subject of the verb
{Qatlhbej}, so it should go after the verb.

> pov lutmey Qov.

Again, double check your word order here. {lutmey Qov} means "the Qov of
songs". This is only okay if you mean something like "The Qov that is spoken
about in stories & legends is excellent" :-)

> Dochna'vam'e' vItlhob

maj. You could also just say {'e' vItlhob}, so that it means "I request that
[Qov's stories be excellent]"

>   qaybe' pab.  Hoch mu' vISovpu'be',
> 'ach nom vItu'laH.

maj.
Just watch out for the typo on {qay'be'}.

> mughlu'chugh, Doch vImughpu'bogh lugh 'e' vItoblaH.

Again, pay attention to word order. Notice that {Doch vImughpu'bogh} ("The
thing that I have translated") is the subject, and so it should go after the
verb {lugh}.

Also, if you're talking only about Qov's stories, then you don't need {-lu'}
in the first word here. Since Qov is the one who is making the translations,
you don't need to say "If someone translates". Instead, you can say
something more direct such as "If she translates".

> cha' QaghHom vItu' 'e' vIQub.

No problem here.

> <Doch SIch Soch> 'e' tu'laD.

I think you have a typo here. I'm guessing that {'e' tu'laD} is supposed to
be {'e' laDlu'}? If so, you could also use {net laD}.

> 'ach wa' Sogh ghaH
> neH, qar'a'.  <puq chopqa'meH 'er, Ha'DIbaH ghIch woS je Dech be'>:  <puq
> chopHa'meH 'er ..?> 'oHnIS, qar'a'.,qay'be', ram.
>
> qatlho', Qov.  taghwI'vam choboQpu'neS.

majQa'.

> All these things have I done from my youth upwards, though I had not
> thought
> of correcting learners' errors.  I have joined the KLI and I enjoy reading
> what Qov writes.  I have bought Hamlet and Jatmey (and read *jatmey*).
> But
> it is difficult to write error-free Klingon [I know I could have used
> *qar*,
> but I wanted to wrestle with *bogh*].  (That sentence was certainly
> difficult for me).

It didn't look like you had a lot of trouble using {-bogh}. maj.

> Qov's stories are excellent.  That is what I was asking for.  There was no
> problem with the grammar. I didn't know all the words, but I can quickly
> look them up.  If there was a translation, I could check that what I have
> translated is correct.  I think I found two typos.  One reads "seven
> reached
> the thing", but there is only one lieutenant, isn't there?

I believe that in her story, {Soch} was a typo for {Sogh}.

> "The woman held
> the animal's muzzle in order that the 'er bit the boy again":  it should
> be
> "in order to prevent the 'er biting the boy", shouldn't it?  No problem,
> not
> important.
>
> Thank you Qov.  You have helped this learner.

- taD