tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 11 09:48:14 2001

mu'ghom pab paqmey je (was Re: QaH vIneH (KBLC)/ KLBC)

ja' pIl'o':
>mIypa'   DI'vI' Hol mu'ghom pab paqmey je laDnIS qoraQ.
>        question:
>Is the conjunction in the correct position here?

Your placement implies "dictionary, grammar, and books" or "dictionary and
books of grammar".  If you meant the latter, a comma would be useful to
make clear your intent:  <mu'ghom, pab paqmey je>.  Perhaps you wanted
<mu'ghom pab je paqmey> "books of dictionary and grammar", but that's a bit
odd-sounding.  I think <mu'tay' pab je paqmey> "books of vocabulary and
grammar" would be more reasonable.

>How would a writier
>disambiguate between "one book of each" and "multiple books containing
>elements
>of both"?

For the first meaning, I'd say <mu'tay' paq pab paq je>.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level